Friday, November 28, 2008

Another project





I can't imagine what would happen if I only had one project going at a time. I worry that I'd go into a tailspin of boredom, or that I would actually have time to keep the house tidy. Since my bathroom project has wound down to a near finish, I decided to tackle another project that has been bugging me for years. The Hallway.




Too big to be a hallway, too small to be a room. Dark and dingy and too ugly to be a part of my house.

A couple years ago I peeled the wallpaper off the bottom half of the wall and painted it the same color as the kitchen backsplash. The color coordinated pretty well with the wallpaper above, but I still didn't like the look.





And the wallpaper above was so old and dirty and dingy. One day I decided to paint a few different colors on the wall to see what I'd like in there. The Man suggested forest green after he came home and saw all the splotches of color on the wall. Well, forest green just doesn't go with the rest of my house. I settled on a teal, but was waiting to get more of the bathroom done before I bought paint.




On those home shows they talk about paint being the cheapest improvement you can make in your home, but paint isn't exactly cheap. Then I decided the ceilings better be painted first so I did the bathroom ceiling in white, and the hallway ceiling in a color called "Sand dunes" that I've got elsewhere in the house. The horrible grate in the ceiling was rusted and brown, so I painted right over that. It's not quite the eye sore it was before.


Under the wallpaper I found one wall painted with flat green paint and another wall painted with gloss white. Weird. But that's the way this whole house has been.

Scraping, sanding, staining and varnishing the woodwork is going to be an all winter project since I'm dealing with at least eight layers of paint.


More pictures to come when I get the halls decked for Christmas.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Heya, Melanie-- You were a winner in the Caption Contest you participated in a few days ago. Pop by Of Cabbages and Kings to see!! :) Congrats!

Needless To Say said...

Hi, Melanie -- it's looking good!

And tag...you're it! (Gee, today is your lucky day, isn't it?) Please see the post and comments here:

http://justbecauseyoudontneedit.blogspot.com/2008/12/old-one-two-punch.html

Thanks!

Michelle said...

Hi thanks for dropping by vintage jewelry pics- it looks like you and I are in the same boat. I have a lot of home improvements to do. I just moved me and my husbands bedroom down stairs and moved two children upstairs this weekend. Now I want to paint our new bedroom and the whole upstairs needs new paint and the closets need to be remodeled. ah ha... I like what you have been doing- I wish I was a bit more motivated for home improvements though.

Melanie said...

Hey, thanks for dropping by! I haven't been on the computer too much the last few days.

Michelle, yes it's tough to get motivated for home improvements. I usually don't get motivated until there is a snow drift on the floor or rain running down the inside of the wall!

Needless to say, I'll get to it as soon as I get home from work this afternoon.