Saturday, December 13, 2008

Kibble..... and uhm, Christmas decorations


So, I get home from work last night and decide, I'm gonig to do it. I'm going to quit procrastinating, climb the ladder and get the rest of my Christmas decorations out of the attic. So, I climbed the weebly wobbly ladder and pulled the boxes down out of the attic. I was impressed with myself. I didn't drop anything on my head.
There are all the boxes, spread around the kitchen floor. Did I mention the attic door is over top of my kitchen table? What were they thinking???? I opened the box that has assorted Christmas do-dads and nic nacs in it and start dispersing those around the house when I came across this white poinsettia topiary.
This little thing has seen its better days. I threw it together a few years ago with odds and ends left from a different project. The whole top-heavy thing sits in a clay pot filled with rocks because that's all I had the night I made it.
At least I thought it was a pot full of rocks. The thing fell apart when I took it out of the box. Sure, there were rocks in the bottom of the pot, but on top of the rocks was..........dog food??????? What the??????????
I have no idea how it got there. Was I desperate for more ballast in the pot at one point? Did one of the kids slip it in there for a joke a year or two ago? I'm completely baffled. And to add to the mystery, it's not even a type of dog food we buy. It had to have been at least three years ago or more that we had a sack of that type of dog food.
I'm getting ready to set up the tree this afternoon. I'm wondering what other odd surprises I have in store.

3 comments:

Lidian said...

We just did our tree, and like you I found all sorts of weird stuff in the boxes - mostly glitter and bits of - oh, I don't know what it is!

That is mysterious about the dog food, all right. Please post if you get to the bottom of the mystery!

Lidian said...

Oh, I just saw you did NaNo too, congrats on winning! What's your novel about?

Melanie said...

Lidian, every writing class I've ever taken I've been told to write about what I know- so I wrote about a big family in a small town. I suppose you'd call it a romance novel.

What did you write?