Saturday, September 27, 2008

30 and holding



No, I'm not talking about me being thirty. I'll admit to being forty and proud of it. No it's The Beast that's 30 years old this year. My favorite set of wheels. My gardening pickup. My junk hauler. The reason my husband sometimes shakes his head and rolls his eyes and says I don't listen to him. He didn't want me buying another vehicle and I went ahead and bought this one anyway. It's mine, mine, mine!

This old Ford had been sitting under a shade tree for at least 15 years when I bought it. Before that it was a service truck for a farm implement repair shop. It runs pretty good. I had to have some work done on the brakes, but otherwise, it's a great set of wheels. Well, as you can see, the day I took the picture I had a tire off that had gone flat. I don't drive The Beast every day unless one of our other vehicles is in the shop.


But I'm rambling and not getting to the "holding" part. At the moment I've got The Beast pretty well loaded up with junk. Aluminum cans to go to the recycler, demolition garbage from my bathroom, assorted lumber I pulled out of the dump that's good enough to use. Just odds and ends like that. Well, then we've had a little rain. The other day I walked past and noticed a funny smell. I got to looking and since The Beast is parked on a bit of a downhill slope, the box had gotten a lot of rain water in it and, wonder of wonders, it wasn't draining out. The rain water was getting a bit smelly and slimy like a stagnant pond.

A thirty year old pickup box was still holding water!!! In my world, things like that just don't happen. Heck even my ten year old Ranger has enough holes in the bed that it won't hold water.


So I had to start it up and turn it around so the water would drain out the back. It probably held about 80 gallons. Wish I'd have had my camera handy to get a picture of the waterfall!




2 comments:

Debi said...

Melanie,

Oh how sweet to have your own vehicle for halling anything you want!! I love having mine too!!!

Hope you have a wonderful week!!!

And thanks for following my blog :D
Debi
http://whatscookninjunk.blogspot.com/

Melanie said...

Debi, when I bought The Beast, I really needed it. All I had to haul stuff in was a four door Chrysler with beautiful leather seats. I've since sold that. DH bought himself a different pickup and so I got his little Ranger. Now The Beast is just sort of a spare, but still my favorite set of wheels.