Sunday, September 28, 2008

Meet the Mongrels









I may have mentioned my mutts in other posts, but I don't think I've formally introduced them. Here are my helpers.






Meet Flash the Wonder Dog who is part Basset Hound and part Beagle and who knows what else. Flash belongs to a friend of mine, but has come to live at our house indefinitely. We got off to a rough start, but I'm very attached to him now and he's very devoted to me. Or at least he's very devoted to going for rides and eating donuts from the gas station.





And Lady the Bug who seems to be mostly yellow lab, but is much needier and more nervous than the average lab. She wandered into town and Flash brought her home. Nobody else wanted her, so I fed her and here she has stayed. She's very social, loves little kids, but doesn't much like my old neighbor man even though he lets her drink out of his birdbath.




They are of no help what-so-ever in the garden. Flash gets bored when I start gardening and wanders off to parts unknown. Lady insisted on putting herself between me and whatever I'm working on, hence the name Lady "the bug".
I can't even begin to tell you how many plants they've mashed, stomped on or used for bedding. But I can't imagine life without a dog.






1 comment:

Debi said...

Melanie,
How sweet are those sweet 'mongrels' The very best companions!!

We love ours too!! One dog... akita/australian shepherd... and about a dozen cats!!! All of them have names thanks to kids and grandkids... but I may not know them all lol.

Hope you have a wonderful day dear!!