Thursday, October 16, 2008

Garden Post


It occured to me that it's been awhile since I've done a garden post. We've had some rain that has kept some things growing and rejuvenated a few things that I thought were finished. We've yet to have a killing frost which is really odd for mid-October.


The Autumn Joy sedum looks like it should this time of year. I love this plant. It's so pretty, and it has some fond memories for me. When I was eighteen and away from home living on my own, a country girl living in town, I could look out my bedroom window and the landlady had a flower garden out there. I don't know what all was growing in that garden but I remember the sedum being so beautiful. When I got down and gloomy (or tired of doing homework) I'd stare out the window at that sedum.


Summer squash, this is yellow crookneck, should not be producing fruits in my area at this time of year. They should be frozen dead. But..... this plant did not even start blooming until Labor Day! It just sat and baked and complained about being watered with tap-water all summer until we had some rain. I took this picture maybe a week ago. We've since had just enough cold to kill off the top of this plant.


The cosmos have been just radiant. I really like this "tire-d" flower bed. :) Next year I may grow entirely cosmos in it instead of trying for three different kinds of flowers. These cosmos have survived being stomped to bits by the yellow dog. They've been baked to the point of near extinction, and seem to just keep coming back. Love 'em!



Marigolds. You can't beat marigolds for just blooming on and on despite whatever kind of lousy weather, soil or growing conditions they have. I used to grow a lot more marigolds than I do now. I think I will have to start planting more of them again. They are so easy and so cheerful.


3 comments:

Debi said...

Hello Melanie dear,

I hope all is well with you!! I love your pics of your flowers!!!
Mine are almost gone now... last freeze got most them!! I pulled out my morning glories this afternoon. ;(

I stopped by to pass on an award... you have been BOOed. (Halloween) Stop by my blog to pick up your award!! :D

Hope your having a wonderfully blessed day dear!!

Needless To Say said...

Very pretty! And your hair looks great, too.

Melanie said...

Hey, thanks for the comments you guys.
Debi-- Sorry I haven't been by your blog to pick up my award- haven't even checked in here lately.

Needless to say---I'm hoping to post some decent "after" hair pics after thanksgiving.