Monday, July 28, 2008

Fruits of the Spirit Garden







"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law." Galatians 5:22-23


Welcome to my little "fruit of the spirit" garden. It used to be my "front door" garden. But I had some bricks laying around that were an odd size and I didn't know what to do with them. For years I've been wanting some stones with words or some similar decorative item for my front door garden. So, I thought, why not use those bricks and once I decided that, the idea popped into my head to paint the fruits of the spirit on them. Well, it turns out, I'm one brick short, I think I'm missing gentleness, but eventually I'll find a similar brick and put that in there too. These are not the best pictures of this little garden, but you get the idea of it.


I must say, when the dogs come trying to "help" me when I'm weeding and mash a prized plant in the process, it's real hard to remember gentleness and self-control even when they're written on bricks in front of me. I've never had as much trouble gardening with a dog as I've had with this yellow dog. Flash the Wonder Dog learned to stay out of the flower beds. Good old Buddy learned to just lay down behind me wherever I was working. Sometimes I tripped over him, but he wasn't a problem while I was working. Lady-BUG is convinced she should be between me and whatever I'm doing, whether it's weeding, or trimming grass or planting.




Caught this picture of an Easter lily just before it opened. When they're not forced for Easter, but just allowed to grow in the garden, Easter lilies bloom in July, just after my other lilies do. I have several around the yard, and they were all salvaged from the after Easter dumping of the lilies from church over the past couple years. This one is from two years ago and this is the first time it's bloomed. Well worth the wait.
Tomorrow: Gladiolas


No comments: