Wednesday, July 9, 2008

How did you spend the 4th?



If I've been asked this question once, I've been asked a hundred times this week. It makes me feel like a kid back in grade school on the first day back from summer vacation with the teacher demanding a two page essay on "What I did on my vacation". Other kids always wrote about where they'd traveled and who they'd seen and made it all sound so exciting. I could never figure out how to make the fact that I spent my summer feeding hogs for dad or pulling weeds and watering grandma's garden exciting. But, to me it was all fun. And I still find those sort of home-body things fun (althought I LOVE to travel too) And my answer is the same today as the few short sentences of that dreaded essay. "Not much. Stayed home. Didn't do anything."


Truth is, I very much enjoyed having a Friday off of work without having to go anywhere. The last Friday I had off was for my daughter's graduation and that involved traveling and buying high priced gasoline. Before that I don't remember the last time I had a Friday off. I work every weekend. Friday night, Saturday morning, Saturday night.


It's not really honest to say I didn't work though. I had an order for a baptism cake, so I baked that in the morning while it was cool, and decorated it in the evening so it would be ready first thing Saturday morning. Love doing cakes. I just wish people would sometimes order cakes in the winter time when I want to have my oven going.


Oh, and I almost forgot, I made another glass totem too. Not sure how I could forget that since the darn thing is sitting in the middle of the kitchen. I was working on fixing one of the kitchen drawers and figured as long as I had the glue out, I might as well put together another totem. So I did, and now I don't know what the heck to do with it.


No comments: