Sunday, July 20, 2008

My Weekend Projects



Here's pictures of a couple of my weekend projects. I have other projects I did and I'll get those posted eventually. Here's the yummy edible projects though. The "present" cake was for my aunt's 71st birthday which we celebrated today at a family reunion. The cake was chocolate with raspberry cream filling and chocolate satin frosting. Yummy! And it got RAVE reviews with the relatives including one gal who said she'd drive the 150 miles between us to get one of my cakes. I just had a blast doing this cake. Started the fondant ribbon days in advance and learned that one should build a ribbon from the bottom up, not the center out like one would with real ribbon. Live and learn. Probably would have helped if I'd read some instructions. Oh, and the cake wasn't near as lopsided as it looks in the picture. It's the way the picture is taken and the curve of the plate that makes it look that way.


The other cake is for a friend's wife's birthday. It was carrot cake with cream cheese frosting. I haven't gotten any reviews on that yet. I wasn't especially happy with the way it turned out, but I'm guessing they thought it was cute. I did find out that although I love cream cheese frosting it's kind of a pain to work with as far as icing goes. I believe I'll use a different recipe next time. Don't know if all the writing in the picture is visible, but it says "It's all downhill from here."

2 comments:

Debi said...

Hello Melanie,
I have a message to you on my blog.. Check it out!! See you soon! :D


http://whatscookninjunk.blogspot.com/

Jackie said...

The ribbon on that cake is amazing. What a nice "present" of a cake.